Healthy living is an important part of a well-balanced life. A wise eating plan fuels your body and makes you capable of the best life you can live. Without it, you may lack the inner journey and motivation to pursue that life. The good news is that small changes can have a huge impact. With these small changes, you can begin to experience the health and vitality you deserve.
Balance Is The Key
Bookshelves are filled with hundreds of fad diets that promise to shed pounds off fast. Often, these diets fail to produce changes that last a lifetime because they require unsustainable changes to your life. On the other hand, a manageable, balanced plan can keep you fit for the rest of your life.
- You can eat whatever you want, as long as you practice moderation. Instead of denying foods you love, simply make wiser choices. Find healthier substitutes for the things you love that still pack a lot of flavour. When you do indulge, enjoy a small taste and experience dessert without the guilt.
- The main rule to remember is the rule of moderation. Eating too much steak or pasta is unhealthy, but there’s nothing wrong with eating it from time to time. Pile your plate with as many vegetables as you want, and complement them with small amounts of your favourite foods.
Cut Yourself Some Slack
Often, dieters complain about how they crave cake or some other unhealthy piece of food. The truth is that you can lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle while still enjoying the foods you’ve always loved once in a while.
If you have a craving for an unhealthy food, indulging in your sweet tooth with moderation will keep you on track and keep you from feeling deprived.
Healthy Foods Can Be Tasty
Many people believe that all healthy food tastes disgusting. Many who have chosen to eat healthier can testify that this is a myth. You simply have to find healthy substitutes and alternatives to the calorie packed food you’re used to eating.
- Grapes and watermelon, for example, make a great snack food. They satisfy both hunger and thirst, while tempting your taste buds at the same time. If you can satisfy your sweet tooth and hunger with far less calories than reaching for a candy bar, why wouldn’t you? This is what a lifestyle of healthy eating is all about – making better choices.
- Replace soda with whole fruit juices or healthy smoothies. You’ll still enjoy a delicious drink and save yourself from the toxic effects of carbonated drinks. Eventually, you may want to try replacing fruit juice with water, which will leave you more refreshed and save you from the sugar in fruit juices.
Keep It Simple
Dramatic changes in your diet are likely to leave you discouraged and deprived. Small changes that make a big difference can last a lifetime and increase your confidence. Eat breakfast every morning to jump-start your metabolism. Supplement your eating plan with regular exercise. Drink as much water as you can.
- Try incorporating one or two small changes per week. As you create a new habit, add another one until your lifestyle is a healthy one. You’ll look back and wonder how you ever lived differently.
- Make vegetables the center of every meal, eating as much of them as you want. Use herbs and spices generously to increase the flavour of your vegetables.
- Substitute whole grains and brown rice for white rice and pasta. Substitute fruits, vegetables and nuts for fattening snacks like candy bars and snack cakes.
The key to a healthy and balanced diet is to make only one or two small, manageable changes at a time. Today, select one or two of these changes. After a week or two, choose another new healthy idea to try.
Before you know it, you’ll feel more energy and passion for life, while still enjoying delicious dinners with your friends and family.